Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Burger Tots

by Margot Cioccio

My mom got one of those electric cake pop makers. So we have been coming up with other ways to use it beyond cake. Everything you make comes out in the shape of a ball which is kind of fun.
So we have made Tilapia tots from 24/7 Low Carb Diner. http://247lowcarbdiner.blogspot.com/2013/03/tilapia-tots.html They were delicious. My whole family loved them. So that recipe got us thinking of other ways to make quick pop in your mouth dinners. Burger Tots are what my mom and I came up with. This recipe makes about 90 Tots which seems like a lot, but I have two teenage boys who will devour them. If its too much for your family you can split it in half. I also figure that if there are leftovers they make good quick grab and go lunch food.
Burger Tots
2 lbs of Lean Hamburger pre cooked and seasoned to taste.
     (We used Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion, Parsley and Italian Seasoning)

10 eggs beaten
2.5 cups of almond flour
1.5 cups of shredded cheese. (We used med Cheddar but most similar cheeses would work)
2.5 tsp of baking powder
1.5 tsp of Celtic Sea Salt

Mix up the eggs, almond four, cheese, baking powder and salt and then add cooked hamburger. We also added about a 1/4 cup of lacto fermented green, yellow, orange and red peppers. You could use diced raw peppers or you might sauté' them. How to make delicious lacto fermented peppers is a topic for another post as well as optional for this recipe.

We will be served ours with a marinara dipping sauce as well as a cranberry dipping sauce.
Along with sides of spaghetti  squash, cold slaw and steamed zucchini. Of the 90 Burger tots less than 20 remained.  So it was a hit that we will make again when my mom brings her cake pop maker or when I get my own.

I realize I have not kept up with posting to this blog. So there is quite a lot that I could tell you.
My biggest news is that I start school for Massage Therapy in September. So I am looking forward to that while at the same time enjoying the relaxed pace of the summer.

I have added to my low carb lifestyle, lacto fermenting of vegetables and have begun making my own kefir (kind of like drinkable yogurt). I'll tell you more in a future post.


No comments:

Post a Comment