Sunday, July 1, 2012

Brined Chicken a Grill Success

For years I had the worst time making chicken on the grill. It always turned out half raw, or if it was all the way cooked it was dry and charred on the out side. I stumbled upon the secret to grilled chicken success. I thought I would share it today.
 The secret is you need to first brine the chicken. Brine is easy it is a simple salt water solution.
At its most basic it is just salt and water.

I start with a small amount of hot water and about a 1/4 cup of salt and I stir that till it dissolves. I then add the hot salt water to a big pan of cold water.
To that solution I add the chicken and I let it soak at least a half an hour.

On a side note you can add other seasonings to the brine. There are times that I have added pineapple juice or apple juice.  For this version
it is just salt and water.


When the chicken had finished its little bath in the brine. I drained it and patted it dry. I use old dish towels but paper towels would work fine also. 
It is then dipped in a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, and lots of garlic power. (Any mix of your favorite seasonings will do) I kind of cook on the fly using recipes as just a guide not a rigid set of rules to follow. I make little variations depending what I happen to have on hand and what sounds good to me at the time I am cooking.
Add caption











On the grill cook till it is no longer pink and the juices run clear. We basted each time we turned the leges.
This is the finished chicken - it turned out  delicious. We had some cold for lunch the next day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment